giovedì 17 marzo 2011

Dear John

John was very funny today. He was talking about catalexis and he demonstrated it with a ‘poem’.

Taffy was a Welshman

Taffy was a thief

Taffy came to my house

And stole a piece of beef

He snapped his fingers and read that aloud. What’s funny was the way he snapped his finger at the last beat and held his hand there, looked as us like he’d just finished the most funny thing on earth and we should laugh. Of cox we guffawed and clapped very enthusiastically. Luckily no one fell off their seat. LOL

He said ‘the projector got carried away’ in his _____ (fill in any word you like) Irish accent. Then he flipped through the ppt in a frenzy. Oh my!


‘I sent an email to you today.’ Um, it was 0930... ‘Are you in the 1100 back-up class?’

....

‘I think the lecture today will finish early. We can talk afterwards and before your back-up class. Would it be alright for you? We can always fix another time to talk for a longer time.’

I totally freaked out because I’d prepared nothing. Why ppl here like to send emails at the last min? I wished that the lecture would run longer than expected so that I needed not talk to him today. I mean, I was quite unprepared.


昨天才和Fion談起Dr. Matthews,又想起去年差不多是這個時間去和老細談Czech declensions. 今天,找回了那種感覺,那種被點醒了的感覺。


John office的牆上有塊白板,我坐下,他就拿起筆在上面寫,十足十1-to-1 tutorial. 我只是跟他說我想做Cantonese,喜歡做1st assignment,他便說了一大堆我沒想過的ideas,可以做的experiments,怎樣用不同的theory去分析data。


前幾天見Andrew,同樣十分鐘,同樣討論essay題目, 天淵之別。我發現相比其他同學,我能見他十分鐘已經很好。跟他brainstorm題目,想到了兩個,他告訴我可以看哪篇article後便打發我走。有了題目,卻不知該怎樣開始。也許我這樣說有點誇張,但我覺得「見完等於無見」


老師不單只要教授知識,更加要引導和激發學生思考。十分鐘,高下立見。


忘了跟他說聲:Happy St. Patrick's Day!

====


Arm arm 發現以前有個人叫 John Harris CHANDLER. 笑0左!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento